Rumi quotes are some of the most profound and inspirational words ever spoken. His teachings have touched the soul of many and inspired them to find strength in their struggles. His words on love, authenticity, and peaceful coexistence are deep and thought-provoking.
Rumi’s quotes have the power to inspire and uplift individuals, as they offer a glimpse into the essence of life and the human experience. When we read deep and meaningful quotes of Rumi, we get astonished for a while for the reason that he could touch the basics of human existence and put it in so simple words for us to understand!
Although, most of us are aware about who Rumi was, here’s a short glance about him.
Jalaluddin Rumi, widely known as Rumi was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian, and Sufi mystic. He was born in Balkh, which is now in Afghanistan, but spent most of his life in Konya, Turkey. Rumi’s poetry, which is written in Persian, has been translated into English and many other languages and has gained widespread popularity throughout the world. He is considered to be one of the greatest poets of all time and his works continue to inspire millions of people.
Rumi’s poetry is characterized by its themes of love, spirituality, and the search for meaning. His writings often reflect his Sufi beliefs, which emphasize the importance of spiritual experiences over religious doctrine. Rumi’s work is known for its passionate and emotional tone, which is often expressed through metaphor and allegory. His poems are timeless and offer deep insights into the human condition, making them relevant to people of all cultures and backgrounds.
Before we dwell into his quotes, let us read one of the most popular poems by Rumi, The Guest House.
The Guest House
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they’re a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.
Translated by Coleman Barks. Source
Now, let’s get into the meaningful and authentic Rumi quotes.
Rumi quotes short
1. What you seek is seeking you. – Rumi
2. Let the beauty we love be what we do. – Rumi
3. The wound is where the light enters you. – Rumi
4. I am yours. Don’t give myself back to me. – Rumi
5. Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment. – Rumi
6. The heart knows only the language of love. – Rumi
7. Only from the heart can you touch the sky. – Rumi
8. If all you can do is crawl, start crawling. – Rumi
9. Suffering is a gift. In it is hidden mercy. – Rumi
10. Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself. – Rumi
11. Be like a tree and let the dead leaves drop. – Rumi
12. The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore. – Rumi
13. Love is the bridge between you and everything. – Rumi
14. Wherever you stand, be the soul of that place. – Rumi
15. The quieter you become, the more you can hear. – Rumi
16. Let the beauty of what you love be what you do. – Rumi
17. Respond to every call that excites your spirit. – Rumi
18. The beauty you see in me is a reflection of you. – Rumi
19. There is a voice that doesn’t use words. Listen. – Rumi
20. Travel brings power and love back into your life. – Rumi
21. As you start to walk on the way, the way appears. – Rumi
22. The wound is the place where the light enters you. – Rumi
23. Love is not an emotion, it is your very existence. – Rumi
24. The only lasting beauty is the beauty of the heart. – Rumi
25. Be full of sorrow, that you may become hill of joy. – Rumi
26. Be empty of worrying. Think of who created thought. – Rumi
27. As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears. – Rumi
28. What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle. – Rumi
29. The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear. – Rumi
30. Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. – Rumi
Interesting quotes by Rumi
31. Do not feel lonely, the entire universe is inside you. – Rumi
32. If light is in your heart, you will find your way home. – Rumi
33. Why do you stay in prison when the door is so wide open? – Rumi
34. The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of. – Rumi
35. The universe and the light of the stars come through me. – Rumi
36. The garden of the world has no limits except in your mind. – Rumi
37. You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? – Rumi
38. The garden of the world has no limits, except in your mind. – Rumi
39. Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form. – Rumi
40. Lose your soul in God’s love, I swear there is no other way. – Rumi
41. I closed my mouth and spoke to you in a hundred silent ways. – Rumi
42. You have within you more love than you could ever understand. – Rumi
43. Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation. – Rumi
44. Everything in the universe is within you. Ask all from yourself. – Rumi
45. The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Don’t go back to sleep. – Rumi
46. You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop. – Rumi
47. If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished? – Rumi
48. A thousand half-loves must be forsaken to take one whole heart home. – Rumi
49. You are the soul of the soul of the universe, and your name is Love. – Rumi
50. I am not this hair, I am not this skin, I am the soul that lives within. – Rumi
Rumi quotes long
51. Let yourself be drawn by the stronger pull of that which you truly love. – Rumi
52. When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. – Rumi
53. Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love. – Rumi
54. Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder. – Rumi
55. Love is an open secret, the most obvious thing in the world and the most hidden. – Rumi
56. Love is the soul’s light, the taste of morning, no me, no we, no claim of being. – Rumi
57. Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond. – Rumi
58. The soul has been given its own ears to hear things the mind does not understand. – Rumi
59. When you seek love with all your heart, you shall find its echoes in the universe. – Rumi
60. Love is an emerald. Its brilliant light wards off dragons On this treacherous path. – Rumi
61. When I am with you, we stay up all night. When you’re not here, I can’t go to sleep. – Rumi
62. Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there. – Rumi
63. The soul has been given its own ears to hear things that the mind does not understand. – Rumi
64. Don’t be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth. – Rumi
65. All religions, all this singing, one song. The differences are just illusion and vanity. – Rumi
66. Ignore those that make you fearful and sad, that degrade you back towards disease and death. – Rumi
67. If you want the moon, do not hide from the night. If you want a rose, do not run from the thorns. – Rumi
68. Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. – Rumi
69. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground; there are a thousand ways to go home again. – Rumi
70. The universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you already are. – Rumi
71. Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray. – Rumi
72. Be a lamp, or a lifeboat, or a ladder. Help someone’s soul heal. Walk out of your house like a shepherd. – Rumi
73. Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. – Rumi
74. Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation. – Rumi
75. If you want the moon, do not hide from the night. If you want a rose, do not run from the thorns. If you want love, do not hide from yourself. – Rumi
76. This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet. – Rumi
77. There are many winds full of anger, and lust and greed. They move the rubbish around, but the solid mountain of our true nature stays where it’s always been. – Rumi
78. The minute I heard my first love story, I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along. – Rumi
79. Be like the sun for grace and mercy. Be like the night to cover others’ faults. Be like running water for generosity. Be like death for rage and anger. Be like the Earth for modesty. Appear as you are. Be as you appear. – Rumi
Rumi’s words are not be understood but to be experienced in our lives to be able to touch the level from where Rumi has spoken. Rumi’s wisdom touches the basics of life and human existence so subtly. One can become wise and spiritual reading Rumi’s words. His charisma has remained for years after his death and will continue to do so.
Which one is your favorite Rumi quote?Tags: authentic Rumi quotes | rumi quotes | rumi quotes short